The Customs Compliance Manager is responsible for the direct oversight of the Import/Export Administrators at site-specific business units (“SBU”s) within the larger Consolidated Business Unit (“CBU”). This position oversees all aspects of custom compliance related to the import and export of Teledyne Environmental Instruments Group products including, without limitation, adherence to applicable U.S. and non-U.S. laws and regulations pertaining to international trade as well as ensuring compliance with Teledyne Corporate polices. This manager will interface directly with the Teledyne Corporate International Trade Compliance (“CITC”), and internal and external customers on matters pertaining to customs regulations.
Customs Compliance Manager Duties
Customs Procedures and Oversight
- Develop and maintain CBU & SBU level policies and procedures for use across the sites within the CBU driving toward standardization and LEAN processes and procedures. These policies and procedures need to align and support corporate-level policies and procedures.
- Oversee the actions of various site-level personnel related to customs declarations, including personnel in Trade Compliance, Shipping, Receiving, Customer Service, Purchasing, Logistics and other operational functions.
- To ensure a strong understanding of the business related to customs compliance at each SBU within the CBU and in supporting the SBUs import administrators this position will at a minimum visit all physical sites with importing activity once per year. Additional, travel maybe required to align with the objectives and responsibilities of this CBU position.
- Oversee the activities of the business’ customs broker.
- Provide standard operating procedures to the broker to ensure that the business’ specific requirements are followed.
- Conduct a periodic review of the customs entries filed by the broker
- Meet periodically with broker personnel.
- Maintain a list of the customs brokers to whom the businesses unit has issued a power of attorney and for track the expiration and renewal dates. Request new or Renewed POAs from Corporate.
- Provide information needed by the broker to make customs entry.
- Review broker data to ensure that all customs entries prepared by the broker have been made according to the standard operating instructions and to identify errors.
- Periodically run reports from the Customs ACE portal to review the entry data for potential errors.
- Review weekly reports of entry data from Customs brokers for potential errors. Review entry documents of all entries suspected to contain errors.
- Perform sample audits of customs entries, documenting any errors.
- Thoroughly investigate any reports received regarding any errors made in connection with an importation. Determine the facts and circumstances surrounding the suspected violation.
- Document entry errors and resolution and prepare a quarterly report of such errors for CITC.
- Notify CITC regarding recurring errors.
- Immediately notify CITC of any inquiries or notices from Customs, Census or other Governmental Agencies.
- Draft responses to governmental inquiry and present to CITC for review.
- Develop and administer Customs-related training. Maintain records of training sessions and participants.
- Perform annual self-assessment.
- Identify areas of risk within the organization and work with management and CITC on corrective action plans and implementation.
- Monitor previously identified, known areas of risk and progress on corrective actions.
- Maintain records and information in accordance with Customs recordkeeping requirements and corporate policy.
- Ensure adequate controls are in place to monitor HTS (assigned by the business) for accuracy.
- Train and advise SBU personnel on correct HTS classification procedures.
- Periodically audit the HTS classifications assigned.
- Oversee maintenance of HTS classifications in the local ERP system.
- Provide lists of imported articles and their corresponding HTS codes to the customs broker and update as necessary.
- Ensure that the complete transaction value, including any additions to the price actually paid or payable, is reported to Customs.
- Train and advise SBU personnel on correct valuation procedures.
- Audit the accuracy of the values being declared to Customs upon importation.
- Meet regularly with various personnel to determine if any assists been provided to suppliers and determine if the value must be declared to Customs.
- Identify any additional payments that must be declared to Customs.
- Work with CITC to develop an appropriate alternate method of appraisement for non-sale items.
Country of Origin
- Train and advise SBU personnel on correct country of origin determination procedures.
- Ensure that each BU maintains accurate country of origin in the ERP system and on product labels.
- Sample imported articles to review the origin marked on the boxes and on the article.
- Ensure that the documentary and procedural requirements imposed on merchandise entered under Chapter 98 are met.
- Monitor the application for, use and closure of ATA carnets.
Export Documentation and AES
- Oversee accuracy of export documents.
- Oversee accuracy of AES filings.
- Oversee maintenance of export records and information in accordance with Customs recordkeeping requirements and corporate policy.
Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.