Teledyne Brown Engineering, Inc. is an industry leader in engineered systems and advanced manufacturing. The Company provides full-spectrum systems engineering, integration, manufacturing, and lifecycle sustainment solutions to the marine, aviation, aerospace, and defense, energy and environment markets. Teledyne Brown has expertise in systems integration, technology development, hardware design, prototype development, system test and evaluation, advanced manufacturing, performance-based logistics solutions, and operations and maintenance
Position Background and Scope
Teledyne Brown Engineering is seeking a data scientist to provide analytic support to Navy Medicine in the Norfolk, VA area.
This position will work as part of a small team to support Naval Medical Forces Atlantic in Portsmouth, VA. The team will work directly with Navy leadership to execute a wide range of projects and will coordinate with analytic teams supporting other regions to ensure knowledge, learning, and best practices are shared across the organization. Analytic efforts may include data analysis, statistical inference, machine learning, data visualization, and dashboard development.
TBE is seeking an analytics professional to join a team supporting analytics and business intelligence efforts within Navy Medicine. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Work closely with customers, managers, and technical team to define program scope, goals, and deliverables
• Work with a team to develop long term analysis products
• Work with a team to respond to ad hoc requests for specific analysis (short term)
• Prepare and present project communications for customers and key stakeholders
• Participate in multi-disciplinary teams in a collaborative environment
• Author technical reports
*This position requires the ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance to the level of "Secret"*
Education and/or Experience
• B.S. degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Analytics, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, or related analytic field is required.
• M.S. degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Analytics, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, or related analytic field is preferred.
• Five or more years of applicable professional experience is preferred, but highly qualified entry-level applicants will be considered.
Highly Desirable Skills and Characteristics
• Demonstrated success in customer-facing roles with frequent stakeholder interactions at all levels
• Superb communication skills with the ability to elicit goals, needs, and outcomes with leaders at all levels across different functions and organizations
• Experience communicating technical information in a variety of formats (presentation, technical report, academic publication, email, etc.)
• Solid foundational knowledge of statistical analysis techniques (regression, hypothesis testing, statistical inference, etc.)
• Advanced data visualization experience to clearly communicate relationships among complex data
• Proficiency in one or more programming languages commonly used in analytics, such as Python or R
• Familiarity with one or more business intelligence, data visualization, or dashboard development tools (Tableau, R Shiny, Seaborn, Qlik, Power BI, etc.)
• Familiarity or experience with machine learning algorithms (neural networks, gradient boosting, random forests, etc.)
• Proficiency with relational databases and Structured Query Language (SQL)
• Experience working within the Department of Defense
• Experience working within the Military Health System
• Experience working with healthcare data