Teledyne Brown Engineering, Inc. (TBE), located in Huntsville, AL is part of the Teledyne Technologies family of high technology companies. TBE provides full-spectrum systems engineering, integration, manufacturing, and lifecycle sustainment solutions to the marine, aviation, aerospace, defense, energy and environment markets. TBE is an industry leader in systems integration, technology development, hardware design, prototype development, system test and evaluation, and advanced manufacturing.
Responsible for the analysis of product, process, equipment and method issues at designated stages of product development and manufacturing. Lead and support action to prevent and reduce all costs associated with poor quality. Work to maximize product conformance to specified requirements while ensuring best possible manufacturability. Works under general supervision. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action; a certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. (other duties may be assigned):
• Develops and initiates standards and methods for inspection, testing, and evaluation.
• Plans and conducts the analysis, inspection, design, test, and/or integration to assure the quality of the assigned product or component.
• Devises sampling procedures and designs and develops forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data.
• Establishes program to evaluate precision and accuracy of production equipment and testing, measurement, and analytical equipment and facilities.
• Performs quality engineering reviews of design documentation for compliance with stated requirements, including vendor quality manuals and company quality records.
• Applies statistical process control (SPC) methods for analyzing data to evaluate the current process and process changes.
• Reviews all purchased products or components and provides input to the decision to accept the product and future purchases from the vendor.
• Documents data obtained during all quality activities consistent with company policies and procedures.
• Develops new approaches to solve problems identified during quality activities.
• Communicates significant issues or developments identified during quality activities and provides recommended process improvements to management.
• Prepares reports to communicate involvement and results of quality activities.
• Prepares and presents technical and program information to team members and management.
• Directs technical and administrative workers engaged in quality activities
• Maintains a working knowledge of government and industry quality codes and standards.
• Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals and deadlines.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Analytical - Collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; works well in group problem solving situations.
• Project Management – Communicates changes and progress.
• Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork – Gives and welcomes feedback; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; supports organization’s goals and values.
• Judgment - Includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
• Motivation – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
• Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
• Professionalism – Reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity – Completes work in a timely manner; strives to increase productivity.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation – Generates suggestions for improving work.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in a related field and 2-5 years of directly related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of solid geometry and trigonometry.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a general knowledge of Microsoft Office and Quality Software.
Other Essential Duties
Follows all import/export requirements, consulting with facility import/export personnel as required.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Basic Knowledge of ISO and/or AS9100
• Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing/6 Sigma/Kaizen
• Knowledge of specific software (design, analysis, ERP…)